We are getting into our busiest part of the spring season.  There are many web stories.  Some are active stories below the five that can be seen in the front page.  Web Update will be posted every day or two.

In the spring there are five sports that have state team titles.  The CHL has made the final four in four of those sports.  Makes you wonder if any other league in the state has done that this spring!

In the state team tennis tournament, Indian Hill beat Seven Hills 3-2 in the district final to make it to the state final four.  The state final four will be played at Reynoldsburg High School on Sunday.  Indian Hill & Lexington will play in the one semifinal.  The winner meets the winner of the other semifinal, Hawken or Wellington.  The losers play for 3rd place.

In baseball, Madeira beat Blanchester Friday in the regional final to make their first trip to the final four since 2011.  See baseball story.

Andrew Pregel of Indian Hill is the state Division II singles champ in tennis. Teammates Mack Ellis & Maanas Pisati were runner-ups in Doubles. See tennis story. 

In boys' lacrosse, Mariemont will return to the state final four for the 2nd straight year as they beat Indian Hill 5-2 in the regional final. See lacrosse story.

In girls' lacrosse Mariemont won in overtime over Indian Hill in the regional final.  They will join the Warrior boys in the state final four. See lacrosse story.

The CHL will have 19 athletes at the state track & field championships.  Se track & field story.

Baseball All League is now posted.  More will be coming in the next few days.

With the 
double first places in track & field, Indian Hill clinched the All Sports Trophy for the 2nd year in a row.  The Braves had 107.5 points for the school year, 6 more than Wyoming.  Complete point standings can be found under the All Sports link.

The three Indian Hill players in the state tournament all made the finals.  Andrew Pregel made his 3rd trip to state the best.  The senior won the Division II singles title over Trevor Ball of Columbus Wellington School.  Pregel was 4th last year.  In doubles, the team of junior Mack Ellis & senior Maanas Pisati fell short in the state finals finishing runner-up to Connor Biernat & Grif Biernat of Wellington School.  Congratulations to Andrew, Mack, & Maanas and good luck in the state team championships Sunday.

The regional track and field meets were held at two sites.  Division II was at Piqua and Division III at Troy.  At the regionals, the top eight are on the podium with medals.  The top four go onto the state championships.  Since there is four regions, that makes 16 qualifiers in running events for the state meet. Since the track at Jesse Owens Stadium is nine lanes, the next two fastest times from the regions also make it to state.

Division III
Madeira girls tied for 14th and Finneytown was 34th.  Madeira had five podium finishes including a state qualifier.  Tess Mitchell finished 4th in the 800 Run in 2:20.20.  Yvonne Colson was 5th in the Discus.  The freshman missed going to state by 4".  Sophia Davenport had a 6th place finish in the 300 Hurdles. Two Amazon relay teams had podium finishes, both coming in 7th place.  The 4 x 800 Relay members are Mitchell, Cosette Busch, Becca Shinkle, & Kayla Bird.  The 4 x 100 Relay members are Davenport, Brooke Schomaeker, Ellie Paxton, & Mia Wyrick.  Alexia Bonds of Finneytown had a 6th place finish in the 100 Hurdles.

Division II
Indian Hill was 17th.  Wyoming was 24th, Mariemont 29th, & Taylor 31st.  Indian Hill had two state qualifiers including a regional champ.  Ellie Podojil won the 300 Hurdles in 44.81.  
Ashleigh Prugh was 3rd in the 1600 with a 5:09.47.  The Braves had three other podium finishes.  The 4 x 800 relay was 6th (Ashleigh Prugh, Amy Prugh, Claudia Hollander, Meghan O'Brien).  Louisa Klaserner was 7th in the 100 Hurdles.  Podojil was 8th in the 100 Dash.  Wyoming had three podium finishes including a state qualifier.  Tiffany Chen was 5th in the 1600 run.  Her time of 5:11.89 gave her one of the additional spots at state.  Chen was also 6th in the 800 Run.  Riley Bahr was 5th in the 3200 Run.  Mariemont had a state qualifier.  Marin Valentine was 3rd in the High Jump (5'1).  Jessie Lakamp of Taylor was 6th in the 300 Hurdles.

Indian Hill was 3rd place with 45 points.  Madeira was 12th, Reading 20th, Taylor & Wyoming 28th, & Mariemont 34th.  Indian Hill had 7 state 
qualifiers in 6 events. Mykal Bright was 2nd in the Long Jump (22') & 4th in the 300 Hurdles (38.81).  Demetrius Baylor was 4th in the 100 Dash (11.27).  West Gardner was 4th in the 800 Run (1:56.35). In the 3200 Run, Joe Murdock was 3rd ((9:44.80) & Ben Bayless was 4th (9:46.74).  The 4 x 800 Relay team of Bayless, Gardner, Nolan Heffernan, & Johnny Giroux were 3rd (8:06.14).  Giroux was 6th in the 1600 Run. Adam Mutasim was 7th in the 100 Dash.  Madeira had a relay team qualify for state.  The 4 x 800 Relay team of Chet Dobson, Diego Arredondo, Dylan Whitson, & Ben Ramos were 4th (8:07.25). Arredondo was 6th in the 800 Run.  Spenser Cox was 6th in the 300 Hurdles.  Don'Nek Patterson of Reading qualified for state in the 100 Dash, finishing 2nd in 11.16.  Teammate Issia Johnson-Sienou was 8th in the 110 Hurdles. Jack Schwartz of Wyoming was 3rd in the 1600 Run (4:27.03).  Chase Grauel of Taylor was 4th in the 1600 Run (4:28.52).  Jonah Dill of Mariemont was 5th in the 300 Hurdles.  His time of 40.22 was good enough to get one of the additional spots at the state meet.

The State Track & Field 
Championships will be held at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on the campus of Ohio State.  The meet will be on Friday & Saturday.  On Wednesday, we will post the times and days that the CHL athletes will compete.

The state tennis championships are being played at the Lindner Family Tennois Center in Mason.

Senior Andrew Pregel of Indian Hill won hiss first two rounds by scores of 6-1, 6-0 in each match.  He will be in the state semifinals on Saturday

Junior Mack Ellis & senior Maanas Pisati of Indian Hill also won their first matches.  They also will be in the semifinals Saturday.

Pregel is making his 3rd trip to state in Singles.  Last year, he was 4th.  In 2015 , he lost in the 1st round.  Ellis & Pisati are making their first trip to the state championships.

Both boys and girls are in Division II Region 8.

Indian Hill & Mariemont put on quite a show in the regional finals. The Warriors led most of the 1st half.  Just before half, Indian Hill scored to take 6-5 lead.  After Mariemont tied it at 6 all, Indian Hill scored 4 straight goals.  With 2 minutes to go, Mariemont close the gap to 1 goal and then tied the game at 12-12 with :57 to go.  The two teams tied at the end of regulation. In overtime, Courtney Robinson scored the winning goal to give Mariemont a 13-12 win over the defending state champs.  The Warriors are 15-4.  Indian Hill finishes a great season 15-5.

Mariemont is defending state champ.  After both Mariemont & Indian Hill combined for 81 goals in the first three post season games, the defenses dominated the regional final game.  Mariemont came out on top 5-2 to advance to the state semifinals.  The Warriors are 18-2 with their only two losses coming to D1 St Xavier & Moeller. Indian Hill finishes a great season 13-7.

Interesting twist of fate with boy and girls lacrosse.  Both Mariemont boys and girls have made the state semifinals.  Also, both boys and girls teams from Columbus St. Francis DeSales made the semifinals.  In a smart move by the state, the teams will play a double header on Tuesday at Chaminade Julienne High School.  The girls game will be at 5:15.  The boys at 7:30.  Winners will play for the state championships.

View Older News Articles in the News Archive